What’s a strata? It’s a savory bread pudding dish. Some call it a casserole …
Strata is an easy one-dish meal. It’s very similar to an omelette, quiche or frittata – except it includes bread as a staple ingredient. It’s also baked in the oven. The other main ingredients include eggs, milk or cream and cheese. Then other ingredients are added as per the cooks liking: vegetable(s), meat and/or fish. The flavour combinations are endless: Mushroom Strata, Asparagus and Tomato Strata, Ham and Cheese Strata, Sausage and Onion Strata, Smoked Salmon and Havarti Strata and so on … you get the idea.
Strata can be served at any mealtime – dinner, lunch, brunch or breakfast … just like a quiche or omelette. It’s ideal for breakfast or brunch because you simply put all the ingredients together the night before, leave it in the fridge overnight and next day just pop it in the oven for about an hour! A no-fuss, no muss morning!
9 slices of Furlani Garlic Texas Toast
2 tablespoons of softened unsalted butter
1 small onion, minced
1 10-ounce package chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
6 ounces (1 cup) Gruyère cheese, shredded (Provolone works too)
6 large eggs
1 3/4 cups half-and-half
3/4 cup Feta cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- Cook for about 2 minutes until the spinach is heated through.
- Grease your baking dish with butter.
- Lay the garlic Texas toast in a single layer in the dish.
- Scoop the spinach mixture and shredded cheese over the toast.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until smooth.
- Pour this mixture evenly over the top of the garlic toast, spinach, and cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Allow the strata to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before baking.
- When ready, remove the plastic wrap, sprinkle the Feta over the strata and place in the middle rack of oven.
- Bake until puffed and golden, 50-55 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack 5 minutes before serving.
Then dig in!