This big-bite sandwich made with Furlani® garlic Texas toast, commands a sit-down meal with knife and fork in hand. Serve with Caesar or another salad of your choice. We promise that our flavourful garlic Texas toast will turn this meal into a delicious eating experience for the whole family.
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Marinating Time: 2 to 8 hours
Cooking Time: 28 minutes
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) EACH of chopped fresh chives or parsley, and grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) prepared horseradish (optional)
- Fresh ground pepper
- ¾ lb (375 g) Canadian Beef Flank Marinating Steak
- 1 sweet onion, halved lengthwise
- 8 slices Furlani® garlic Texas toast or Parmesan garlic Texas toast
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- Mayonnaise, Sriracha mayonnaise, Dijon mustard or prepared horseradish (optional)
- Combine Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil, chives, mustard, horseradish (if using) and ¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper in a sealable freezer bag. Pierce steak all over with a fork. Add to bag, turning to coat; seal and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 8 hours.
- Discard marinade from meat. Pat steak dry with paper towel. Grill in a closed preheated barbecue over medium-high heat (400°F) for 10 to 12 minutes, turning twice or more, or until a digital instant-read thermometer inserted sideways into centre of steak reads 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare at the least. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest.
- Brush onion halves all over with remaining oil and place in grill basket. Grill in closed preheated barbecue over medium-high heat (400°F), turning occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until lightly charred all over.
- Meanwhile, bake or grill the Furlani® garlic Texas toast according to package directions. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and immediately top each toast slice with a slice of cheese. Return to heat just to melt the cheese. Spread with mayo/mustard/horseradish to your taste (if using).
- On a large cutting board, slice the onion lengthwise into thin wedges and carve the steak across the grain into thin 2-inch (5 cm) long slices (like shaved roast beef); season steak and onion all over with salt and pepper to taste. Divide onion and steak slices equally among four toast slices on top of the cheese. Top each with remaining garlic Texas toast and melted cheese on fillings, to make 4 sandwiches. Serve each sandwich with a knife and fork.
Tip: To make your own croutons to top soups or salads, cut Furlani® garlic Texas toast into ½-inch (1 cm) cubes. Bake in preheated 325°F oven in a single layer on parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet, stirring twice or more, for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy all the way through. Cool for 2 to 4 hours after removing from oven.