This show-stopping sandwich is a full meal in itself, piled high with a quick sauté of flavourful veggies, melty cheese, tender strips of steak, and delicious Furlani® garlic bread. Ooey, gooey, messy, and delicious! Top Sirloin Cap is a perfect steak for this recipe – more affordable than Strip Loin, with big beef flavour and just the right sizing for cutting strips.
Yields: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- ½ tsp (2 mL) EACH garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- ¾ to 1 lb (375 to 500 g) Canadian Beef Top Sirloin Cap or Strip Loin Grilling Steaks, trimmed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- ½ medium sweet onion, sliced lengthwise
- ½ EACH red and yellow or orange sweet pepper, sliced
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) roughly chopped baby spinach, kale or parsley (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vinaigrette dressing or sub sauce
- 1 pkg (454 g) FURLANI® garlic bread
- 6 slices Havarti cheese
- Combine garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
- Carve steak across the grain into 2-inch (5 cm) long thin slices (like stir-fry strips) and place in a large bowl; add half of the seasoning mixture and toss to coat. Set aside. Combine onion and sweet peppers with the remaining seasoning mix and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in another large bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet; add beef strips, in batches, and cook for about 1 minute per side, until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Add onion mixture to the same skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, for about 3 to 4 minutes, until softened. Remove from heat and return to the bowl. Add spinach (if using) and dressing, tossing to coat; Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, bake the FURLANI® garlic bread, with cut sides up, on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet in preheated 425°F oven for 6 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Top one side of the loaf with the cooked slices of beef and then 3 cheese slices using tongs. Top the other side of the loaf with the 3 remaining cheese slices and then the vegetable mixture. Return to the oven just long enough to melt the cheese, about 1 minute.
- Remove from oven and use the foil to help lift the loaf halves to put the sandwich together, gently squeezing to help them hold together. Lift with foil to transfer to a cutting board. Cut crosswise into 4 equal-sized sandwiches and transfer to plates to serve.
Tip: For a larger portion size, you can alternatively buy two (284 g each) FURLANI® garlic breads. Find FURLANI® garlic bread and garlic Texas toast in the bakery section of the grocery store. Did you know that Top Sirloin Cap is part of the Top Sirloin Grilling Steak? If you can’t find Top Sirloin Cap, you can substitute Top Sirloin Steak.