Meatballs are always a family favourite, and these ones get an extra garlic hit from the breadcrumbs you make with FURLANI® garlic Texas toast. You can cook the meatballs by either oven-baking or poaching right in the sauce (see Tip for details). Yields: 6 servings Prep Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Ingredients
- 1 pkg (638 g) FURLANI® garlic Texas toast
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb (500 g) Canadian Lean Ground Beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 jar (650 mL) tomato pasta sauce, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp (2 mL) EACH salt and pepper
- Simple Pantry Sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms
- Red wine (optional)
- 1 can (540 mL) diced stewed tomatoes
- 1-inch (2 cm) piece Parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- 1 pkg (340 g) spaghetti
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Make your own FURLANI® garlic Texas toast breadcrumbs: Cut 1 slice of FURLANI® Texas toast into ½-inch (1 cm) cubes. Arrange in a single layer on parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake in preheated 350°F oven, stirring twice or more, for 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy all the way through. Cool to room temperature. Fold parchment paper over cubes and crush into crumbs using the bottom of a skillet or palm of your hand. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until softened. Transfer half of the cooked onion to a large bowl. Set the pan with remaining onion aside for the sauce.
- Stir Worcestershire sauce, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the pasta sauce, oregano, salt, and pepper into onion in large bowl. Add the reserved FURLANI® garlic Texas toast breadcrumbs to the bowl along with the egg and ground beef. Mix together thoroughly but gently. Form into about thirty 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls. Arrange on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet, spacing them apart.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until digital instant-read thermometer inserted into centre of several meatballs reads 160°F (71°C). Cover with foil to keep warm and set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the Simple Pantry Sauce: Add vegetable oil to the reserved onion in saucepan; heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for about 5 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms are starting to brown. Add a splash of wine (if using) and cook 1 minute or until evaporated. Stir in the remaining pasta sauce, stewed tomatoes, and Parmesan rind (if using); bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in the meatballs and heat through.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta and heat the desired number of FURLANI® garlic Texas toast slices according to package directions. Drain pasta well.
- Serve pasta topped with meatballs and sauce, along with FURLANI® garlic Texas toast. Top each serving with some grated Parmesan (if using).
Tip: Instead of oven-baking the meatballs, you can poach them in the sauce to cook: Add raw meatballs to the simmering sauce, gently stir and return to a strong simmer. Cover the pot and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring gently halfway through, until a digital instant read thermometer inserted into the centre of several meatballs reads 160°F (71°C).